Thursday, March 11, 2010

Story Slams Hit You Where You're Human

I'd like for you all to meet Massmouth.

Massmouth produces story slams (similar to poetry slams) in and around the Boston area. These are at once competitions and celebrations of storytelling. There are ten contestants, selected from volunteers (names in a hat usually) in a mix of veteran and fledgling storytellers. There are guidelines to adhere to (time limit, theme) and the focus is on the story, not the personality of the storyteller. Anyone can win and in the last five months several newcomers have won.

Storytelling is not just for children. It's not just for experienced or professional storytellers -- it's for all of us. We all tell ourselves - and others - stories about ourselves, our families, our lives and decide what they mean to us. An event that focuses on Story enlivens this process for us, supporting the expansion and choice of meaning in our lives. Story is at the base of everything. The Slams are great fun, there is a wonderful sense of community and opportunities for the more courageous audience members to participate as well. In these days of high-tech living there is something truly magical in a live performance.

I've gone several times as a spectator. Then Norah Dooley, who had been my Shakespeare student last fall, invited me to be a judge - Chief Justice of the Cambridge Slam Court, to be precise. Learning their guidelines and what makes a good story helped me step outside my comfort zone and see the world in a different way. I had a blast, especially at the Valentine's Day slam. The theme was "The Errors of Eros" and since it was my first Valentine's Day as a "singleton" I found it very therapeutic to be with my friends and laugh at love.

The picture, above, is me (center) with the some of the other judges at Ryles in Cambridge on February 14th.

I highly recommend visiting Massmouth's webpage - they have info on the upcoming events and videos of past performances. I have a special interest in the next show on the 15th since Norah is one of the cohosts. Here is a link to check out her webpage: Norah Dooley.

No comments:

Post a Comment